About the Institute
The Institute of Physics

Home

Institute Fax is + 8610 8264 9531
Phone numbers are + 8610 8264 ext
Address is P.O.Box 603,Beijing 100190,China

The Institute of Physics (IoP), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), was established in 1950 as the Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, through merging of the National Research Institute of Physics, Academia Sinica (founded in 1928) and the Institute of Physics, National Academy of Peiping. In October of 1958 the present name was adopted.

see also
Organization
Annual Report 2006

Director's Welcome


The Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, was initiated in 1928. It is a comprehensive institute devoted exclusively to fundamental research for the improvement of our knowledge on condensed matter physics, optical physics, atomic and molecular physics, plasma physics and soft-matter physics. 

Since its inception, considerable efforts have been made to rank the Institute as one of the world-famed centers, for examples of the discoveries of oxide superconductors at liquid nitrogen temperatures and Nd-Fe-B permanent magnetic alloys using low purity materials. The distinction is also based upon frequency with which work by scientists is accepted and cited by other researchers. The recent years at the Institute were punctuated by the operation of the National “Knowledge-Innovation” Program and a steady stream of important scientific discoveries. The excitement and enthusiasm generated by this level of activity are palpable as the Institute continues to exceed expectations for excellence.

The mission of the Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, is to foster scientific progress by bringing together top-notch researchers in an open and stimulating environment, and the ultimate research identity, I believe, is the scientists it produces. We continue our commitment to the betterment of humankind through basic physical research.



 
Management
Current Directors  
History
The Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) was established in 1950 through merging of the National Research Institute of Physics, Academia Sinica (established in 1928) and the Institute of Physics, National Academy of Peiping. Soon after the founding of the People's Republic of China it was known as the Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, then in October 1958 the present name was adopted.

The Institute is a multidisciplinary institution engaged in research on basic and applied physics, concentrating mainly on condensed matter physics, optical physics, atomic and molecular physics, plasma physics and theoretical physics. There are three State Key Laboratories, which are the Surface Physics Lab. (set up with the Institute of Semiconductors of the Academy), Magnetism Lab. and Super- conductivity Lab. The R&D Department undertakes the development and application of research achievements and high technology.

Many modern facilities, a good library, mechanical and cryogenic workshops as well as other services support the research activities. In affiliation with the Chinese Physical Society, the Institute administers the Secretarial and Journal Editorial Offices of the Society.

At present there are 474 research and technical staff in the Institute including 85 research scientists, 108 associate research scientists and 95 senior engineers, among whom are 8 Members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and 52 doctoral tutors. There are 41 postdoctors, and 239 students working towards their M.S. or Ph. D. degrees. The institute has formed longterm and extensive cooperative relationships with institutions in more than 30 countries. The number of visiting scientists to or from foreign institutions totals more than 300 every year. More than 20 scientists currently hold various offices  orpositions in national or international academic organizations. The Institute has six foreign Honorary Research Fellows, and has founded the Research and Training Center of the Asian-African Association for Plasma Training.

The Center for Condensed Matter Physics, CAS was set up in July 1996, based on the three State Key Labs, three Open Labs of the Academy (Lab. of Optical Physics, Beijing Lab. of Electron Microscopy and Beijing Lab. of Vacuum Physics), and certain other research groups of the Institute.

Since 1950 the Institute has won more than 300 major scientific achievements, of which about 190 were made after 1978. The discovery of oxide superconductors at liquid nitrogen temperatures, and the development of Nd-Fe-B permanent magnetic alloys using low purity materials are particularly noteworthy.

The Institute is now making new strides towards reform in an effort to become a major physics research center of international standing.

 
 
© The Institute of Physics, CAS. page reviewed 21.10.07 by Miao Li